Thursday, March 02, 2006

Musical interlude: What I'm listening to



I read an excellent post on my buddy Riley's blog today about music and what's considered cool and not cool. The fact that he posted the cover to a Poison album at the top of this post only increases his awesomeness (of which he possesses quite a great amount of. See above^). Here's what he had to say:

http://bfr.blogspot.com/2006_01_29_bfr_archive.html

Well, I'm in complete agreement with his assessment. I don't care if people think what I like is cool. I like Poison. I like pro wrestling. I even saw Good Burger in the movies. I probably like Mean Girls more than a guy really should (YOU GO GLENN COCO). Hey, with my big 3-0 now a mere 79 days away, who has time for such worries?

So anyway, here's a few songs I'm listening to now. Feel free to check em out at your leisure:

1. Polyphonic Spree-"Light and Day"-You may also know this as the Volkswagon I-Pod song. No way you can listen to this and not feel at least 25% better. And it may or may not lead you to join a cult.

2. The Bens-"Wicked Little Town"-This is a cover from Hedwig and the Angry Inch. Ben Kweller does the vocal work and puts his own stamp on one of the best songs from that soundtrack.

3. Polyphonic Spree-"Wig in a Box"-From the same album as the last song. The best known song about the joys of cross-dressing. Not that I personally enjoy that or have a problem with it. But, a good song is a good song and the Spree do a great job covering it.

4. ELO-"Mr. Blue Sky"-ELO is definitely one of the most underrated bands from the 70s. Jeff Lynne was a Travelling Willbury and has done work with Tom Petty and Paul McCartney (on his great "Flaming Pie" album")

5. Supergrass-"Pumping on your stereo"-another underrated group. Great tune, though their last album "Life on other Planets" is my personal favorite.

6. Trey Anastasio-"Shine"- Phish fans will likely be shocked at how pop oriented this song is. I mean, it's not a Britney Spears song, but there's literally nothing Phish like about this song. And that's not necessarily a bad thing.

7. Raveonnettes-"That Great Love Sound"-Hard to even explain, just good straight forward rock music with a slight nod to Phil Spector type music. Almost sounds like a modern "Leader of the Pack".

8. Adam Green-"Emily"-A tall, gawky, Jewish weirdo. How can you go wrong? Plus, he was half of the Moldy Peaches.

9. Scissor Sisters-"Take your mamma"-Just fun pop music. Remember when that was enough?

10. Franz Ferdinand-"Take me out"-A year of hearing this damn song everywhere finally broke me down and the Star Wars inspired Video Mod finally pinned me.

11. My Chemical Romance-"I'm not okay (I promise")-This was the first song I ever saw on Video Mods and I thought it was the greatest gimmick for a band ever. Then I figured out it was not a band hook but a show hook. Song still rocks.

12. System of a Down-"Hypnotize"-Not really sure what they think of the people at Tiannamen Square, but the song is great. And the explanation of the chorus is priceless.

13. The Band-"Bessie Smith"-This song's on Dylan's basement tapes and is probably my favorite song on the whole album.

14. Audioslave-"Like a stone"-Chris Cornell rocks.

15. Jane's Addiction-"Superhero"-Downloaded this just because it's such a great opening song for "Entourage".

16. The Killers-"Somebody told me"-Wait, you have a girlfriend who has a boyfriend, but heaven isn't close in a place like this. WTF?

17. Ben Folds-"Philosophy"-The live version trumps the album version, but any Ben Folds is good by me. Except for that one song.

18. Modest Mouse-"Float on"-I probably would enjoy this song 10X more if I was living like I did ten years ago.

19. Damien Rice-"Blowers Daughter"-He's an Irish singer/songwriter and this song is one of only two good things in the movie "Closer". If you read this blog religiously, you should know the other one.

20. Public Enemy-"Fight the Power"-Just because Flavor Flav is my new idol.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home